Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Why I am writing this blog, & The History

Why I am writing this blog:

Thanks for reading! You will see from my profile that I am a flutist. This is my current focus in life. However, I have spent the last 15 years in the Fitness Industry as a Group Exercise Instructor and a Personal Trainer. I have always been big on proper alignment and safe workouts, and according to my doctor, it is a good thing, because I probably would have reached joint replacement much sooner.

So now I am on a grand new journey in my sixtieth decade of life. Being a part of the computer age means I have been doing internet research to help my journey. I have found that there are not a lot of personal stories out there, so it occurred to me that mine might be of interest and help to others.  --January, 2013


The History:

Four years ago I went to an orthopedist for the first time, to see why my knee was achy and getting out of alignment. I wasn't thrilled to hear the answer: arthritis....well, actually arthrosis. Arthrosis is the deterioration of cartilage...which leads to deterioration of the bone, and causes inflammation, or arthritis. 

The doctor couldn't tell me if the bones moved, and started grinding away the cartilage, or if the cartilage started to dry up and then the bones moved. I asked him if genetics had anything to do with it. Yes, and most likely that is the cause in my case.

His prognosis: 8-10 years of pain management and then full knee replacement. Ugh. Devastated. Not thrilled at the idea of steadily increasing pain. Then angry, it's not fair! I have taken good care of myself! I am a fitness professional! I do the right things, work out safely, eat well - no fair! Finally, acceptance..after all, I thought, I am almost 60, and in 10 years I will be almost in 70!

He told me to do whatever I want, as long as it doesn't hurt, and live life. So I have, until about 6 months ago, when my knee began to catch, lock, grind, and cause pain that has limited my life. I still do most of what I want to, but slower, and more painfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment