Sunday, April 14, 2013

Ready for Surgery

Today is the last day of catch-crunch-grind--of sudden gasps of intense pain followed by hours of aching. Today is the last day my knee is getting worse. Today is the last day of waiting....

How do I feel? Mostly, at peace. Relaxed. Prepared. Ready.....well, and maybe just a tiny bit nervous, which goes away with a deep breath.

My focus today is to be rested; hydrated, but not saturated; fed, but no heavy foods. I plan to spend some time today to do a personal Yoga class. 

           (It's a funny thing about me and Yoga...after teaching it two nights
           a week for 10 years, then once a week for 2 more, you would think 
           that I would continue on my own. I am such a class person, though. 
           I find it nearly impossible to do Yoga for more than 20 minutes by
           myself, but as the teacher I could easily teach a 2-hour class!)

Today I will just see that my muscles are stretched an relaxed. I will eat some potassium rich foods: potatoes and bananas....also for the muscles. I will do the last load of laundry, and put fresh, air-dried sheets on my bed. I will try to organize things...although that is not my forté, I will still try.

I will eat my main meal mid-day, probably around 1 or 2 PM, then a lighter protein-rich dinner. (Eggs, oatmeal with fruit and almonds). I will drink a glass of milk, and two glasses of water between dinner and 10 PM. I will drink one more glass of water before bed or midnight, whichever comes first. (I seldom can sleep before midnight, but will try, And I am not allowed food or water after midnight.)

I will pack two bags: one that goes to the hospital with me in the morning, and one my husband can bring to me after I am out of surgery. 

Tonight I will do an antiseptic wipe of my entire body....one of the weirdest aspects of surgery in this advanced age: the do-it-yourself pre-op preparation.

     -I have been given a packet of 6 antiseptic wipes. 
     -I will shower as normal, then wait an hour.
     -Next I open a package, wipe a spot on my forearm and wait 15 minutes      
     to see that there is no reaction.
     -After that I follow specific instructions to wipe the antiseptic over 
     (practically) every inch of my body. 
     -Then let my skin dry, get on pajamas and go to bed.

Tomorrow I rise at 4:00AM, move about a bit, maybe a few more stretches, (I may decide to take a short walk!), then off to the hospital. 

Onward! Into the future! This grand adventure takes off! 

I will be back to the computer as soon as I can, and begin posting my progress daily. Check the tab at the top of the page marked "30 Day Project" for daily updates. 

1 comment:

  1. Excited for you! It's going to be a great thing!
    hugs! -Morgan

    ReplyDelete