Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day 8: A Day of Delightful Discoveries

Today I have made the most wonderful discoveries, and the most wonderful progress! I am full of wonder, like a small child discovering things for the first time. 

So lets start with the mundane: walking. Isn't it amazing how we take walking for granted? Today I have "graduated" - I am now placing full weight on my leg, and only carry the cane around for assurance in case I get a little wobbly. 

I had an appointment with my physical therapist this morning, and the focus was on gait, stride, posture and self-confidence. I am almost embarrassed to admit that fear was my biggest problem: I was afraid to put full weight on my leg, even though there were glimpses where I thought maybe it was ready. With the assurance of someone else,  trusted, and the leg did not let me down. 

A few days ago that I was doing things that I had not been able to do for weeks and months. Today I made another thrilling connection: the muscles of my upper back have been negatively affected by my knee. 

For the past 3-4 months, I have needed to sit in a chair when I practiced my flute, because my knee would get too tired standing. For the last 9 months I have been struggling to hold my shoulders back and low, the flute parallel to the floor, and neck in a elongated, but relaxed. I thought my muscles had gotten too sloppy, that I had lost muscle tone and needed to work weights to rebuild.

Today I sat in a chair, but with a valid reason! I am still at possible danger of blood lots, so need to be moving or elevating the legs. So I set up 2 chairs face to face, with my legs on one....and...SAT UP STRAIGHT EFFORTLESSLY!!!! Shoulders back, flute level, neck relaxed and up.....without even thinking about it!! 

And my TONE!!! My TECHNIQUE!!!  Absolutely ASTOUNDING!!!!

I had no idea that my knee was dragging my music down.  Feel like today I received all the results from the last 9 months of practice! Everything I have been working on clicked into place. And the very best of all....at my lesson my teacher said: "THAT'S the beautiful full tone I have been looking for...full and round, instead of thin." Music to my ears..in more ways than one.

Yes, today was delightful. 

But here's the thing: remember that old song, "Mama Said There'd be Days Like This"? Yeah. This is a high day, and MY I'm always said every high day will bring a corresponding low, be prepared for it, and you can work through. So I am going to savor today, tuck it in memory so that I can bring it out to she'd a bit of light to travel though low days that will surely come.

Onward! 

No comments:

Post a Comment