Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day Three

I was worried that I did too much yesterday. My doctor told me I would know if I did too much by the way I felt the next day. That makes sense: As a fitness professional I often told students/clients that they would feel a workout 24 hours after it was completed. I really felt like my knee was weaker when I got up. But as the day moved along I found that was not the case.

I have started charting my daily progress in terms of distance walked outside and trips down and up our stairs. So I won't duplicate that information here, please click the 30 Day Project tab for those.

I have cut my pain pills in half, that way I don't feel light-headed and drowsy from them. I am being very careful to listen to my knee and take a pill as soon as it starts to hurt even a little bit. 

I got on the floor today!! By using a small step-stool in front of the couch, I was able to carefully lower myself down in two steps, using the same technique as a triceps dip. It was so nice to stretch my legs out on the floor. Before surgery, there was about a 2 inch gap between the back of my knee and the floor. Today it is about half of that. Sweet. I also have observed that when my knees touch, the space between my ankles is about half as much as before..an indication of how much straighter the leg is..Yay!

DISCLAIMER: I would NOT recommend that anyone should try to get to the floor this soon after surgery! I am very strong, and know my body better than most people do. I was VERY, VERY careful not to put any pressure on my knee!! But it was an important goal for me. I cannot sit flat on our bed because the "mattress" is tubes of water, and therefore not flat. And I love to sit on the floor!!

Oh, and yes, I did manage to get my flute out..only for 10 minutes, which I spent on scales.it was quite satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment