Thursday, April 18, 2013

Goals for Day Three

It's 5:30 am and I got up to "take care of nature" and decided I need a pain pill. I am supposed to have a bit of food on my tummy with those so I munched some nuts, and took a bit of a walk back and forth in my parlor. The walk felt good, but it's more of a limp, and there is more pressure on my hands than yesterday. I am not surprised. But I am awake...rats!

The reason I am not surprised is that I know I did not get as much horizontal time yesterday as I should have...it was really quite busy! So I have decided to set some goals for today. As long as I can't get back to sleep just now, I might as well take advantage of the time. So here we go:

  1. Rest more.
  2. Watch the clock and try to stick to the "2 hours down and 2 hours up" rule.
  3. When I walk, try to establish an even, natural pace.
  4. Get out my flute and practice my scales....even if I have to do it lying down!!
  5. Go through all the exercises that were given to me at the hospital.
Other Miscellaneous 5:30 am thoughts:
  • Pain Pills: I am a person who doesn't usually take the things. I have a very high threshold, so that 1-10 scale always throws me off. I don't think I have ever had pain above a 5...But this is a whole new experience, and I want to follow the guidance of the expert medical people who I have put in control of me. They tell me not to have pain, but take a pill whenever I feel any pain at all...even if it is just a "1" on the scale. Yesterday I took a pill (generic form of Norco) a half hour prior to physical therapy, and I felt it kick in--a bit light headed and floaty--not pleasant if I was going to be up and about! I think maybe they are a bit strong for me, so I asked if I could cut them in half. Answer, Yes! So now I am taking 1/2 a pill, and that seems to do the trick. Nice
  • Other articles/plans for this blog: 1. Study up on how to use the "Pages" feature to make the blog more useful. 2. Start an article/post that describes the things I wish I had known prior to surgery. 3. Research some more helpful links. 4. Promote it so that people who are suffering with miserable knees can have some hope. 5. Take  some photos and post them here and/or on Facebook.
  • The flute. My friends, (whom I suspect are the main readers at this time), all know about me and music. For those who don't, here's a quick connection. I also have a blog titled Flute Solo Music, and a Youtube channel of the same name. I play the flute and write music for flute. It is the window to who I am, the basis of my being. If I could put all my other responsibilities in life aside, I would spend hours daily playing, writing, listening to flute music. So up above, when I put play some scales on my goal list for today, it's because I can do that while I am lying down, so it can be a restorative activity, not an energetic one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're only having a limited amount of pain and not too miserable. I was fortunate after last week's surgery not to have to take any pain killers at all, but then that was an appendectomy, not partial knee replacement--a whole lot more pressure on a knee you have to exercise!

    It's such a good idea for you to have this plan of action for your recovery and to include not just the physical but the mental.

    ReplyDelete