Wednesday, April 10, 2013

More About The Robot, or "Why I think this is so cool"

I cannot pretend to be an authority. I only know what I have turned up here and there on the internet. I am not going to do your research for you. There are only two links I will give you, and those are under the title "Is it Time Already?" They are where I started my research.

REMEMBER: This is not intended to be a place to learn the details, but rather to share an experience.

When I got that devastating prognosis four years ago, one thing that gave me comfort was the idea that maybe in the "8-10" years there would be something better to come along.
How thrilled I am that the "something better" is already here!

Why I think this is so cool:


  • The robot guides the surgeon to precise alignment, which wasn't possible before
  • The incision is smaller than the usual full knee treatment, and along the side instead of over the top of the knee
  • They are using sutures to close, not staples (which make such ugly bulging scars)
  • The surgeon has a 3-D picture of my bones to work with
  • Recovery time is pretty short, due to not using full anesthesia
  • The physical therapist will come to me, so I don't have to run to appointments after my surgery
  • I might never need a full replacement
  • I saw a YouTube video of a Makoplasty patient, age 77, stepping up and down on a 10-12 inch stool - 3 weeks after his partial replacements...in BOTH knees!
  • After choosing a surgeon, I found out he was recommended by a friend of mine
  • Going to a hospital where they specialize in joint repairs is pretty cool, too






No comments:

Post a Comment