Monday, December 9, 2013

Saturday and Sunday

Saturday
I am now walking with full weight on my leg, tapping along with the crutches using a 4-point gait. That means the crutches move one at a time, alternating with the opposite leg. I am not putting any weight on my hands, simply bringing the crutches along for the purpose of balance. I shortened my walk today, because I don't want to overdue. I still managed almost a quarter mile. 

I am making steady progress on finishing my daughter's quilt. Following the doctor's revelation about the exercises has got me thinking once again about the physical therapy protocol..but I'll save that for a separate post.

Sunday
I increased my walking distance, and feel comfortable walking a bit faster. The exciting thing for today is standing up from a chair. I have a bit of understanding of the principles of Alexander Technique. It's a whole system of movement best learned from a teacher who is trained in the technique.

I have had a couple lessons, read a book, and articles on it. The awesomeness of Alexander Technique is effortlessly standing up. Until today, I wasn't bending my knee enough to use it, and mostly have been pushing/pulling myself up with my hands. This morning I decided to see if I could rise from a chair, allowing my body to lift upward from the top of my head. It worked!  Very little push needed from my hands! Yay! So that's the big thing for today. 

I am starting to walk in the house with no support. 

Monday morning:  My knee didn't ache during the night, so I guess it isn't hurting me, but it does affect my gait, so I think I will try using the cane today. Feels good to be progressing forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment