Friday, November 29, 2013

Thursday, Thanksgiving Day


Thanksgiving Day. I have opted out for this year..my kids have something planned for tomorrow, but I am going to stay put and keep recovering...which, by the way is going terrific! The highlights of today:

  • I walked to the corner and back..about 750 feet! I felt like I could walk farther, but more is not better at this point.
  • I made the pie crust, and husband made the filling: together we accomplished a pumpkin pie.(I may opt out of the big dinner, but pumpkin pie is just not something to bypass..besides that, I had fresh pumpkin all cooked up and ready to use!
  • I also managed to grind up half an orange and 1/2 pkg of cranberries to make relish...which I love, and will go nicely with the turkey the kids will bring me tomorrow. 
  • I don't need the crutches in the house..only when I walk outside. Inside a cane is more than enough...and often I don't need it, either!
  • I washed my hair.
  • One more, not-so-pleasant to talk about..but oh, so important:
Bowel movement accomplished! This may seem a silly thing to announce to the world, but it really is very important! It means the body is returning to normal function.

Yesterday when the home health nurse was here she asked if I'd had one yet. I couldn't remember, but I knew it was here in this blog, so I looked back..last time I had one at day 3. So that means my digestion isn't kicking in as fast as last time. 

I wasn't feeling constipated, but often you don't feel it until it is getting serious. If you wait that long, then you need to take a laxative, which clears the bowels, and then you start all over again! I don't want to have to take a laxative, so I had some dried fruit after dinner and drank an extra glass of water. That did the job! 

Speaking of which, do you know what stimulates your bowels? Most people have heard about prunes, but any fruit, and especially dried fruit, (with adequate water after it), will help. Graham crackers are another good one. Or fiber-filled cereals, such  as bran flakes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment