Thursday, March 13, 2014

It's been a rough few weeks - and then - WONDERFULNESS!

Shortly after my last post, I came down with the wicked flu that is going around, so spent another 3 1/2 weeks doing almost nothing. It was terribly frustrating, because I had just begun to really re-build my muscles, and get back into normal activities.

Now that my health is back to normal I find myself filled with a level of energy that I have not felt for 5-6 years. It is so wonderful to feel so good! I am also losing weight...finally! I can only say that it has to be the increased movement, in little bits here and there.

I still find that I need to take time to sit with my legs extended at hip level. My second (right) knee still doesn't care to be sitting in a chair for very long.

Last week in my line dance class I found myself bending my knees when we were doing a waltz. I didn't have to think about it, it just happened. So lovely.

My surgeon mentioned that one nice thing about a partial knee (as opposed to a full replacement) is that it feels more normal. I do notice quite a bit of numbness on the lateral (outer) side of the left knee, but the right knee, which was a medial replacement, hardly has any numbness. It doesn't bother me, but it feels weird if I bump it.

This could very well be the conclusion of this blog. It has been quite a journey: a year ago I was in so much pain - walking with a cane because my left leg was so unstable. It was repaired on April 15, 2013. At that time, my right knee also hurt, but it wasn't giving out under me, locking and then releasing with a sharp stab of pain. 

As the left knee healed, the right one continued to hurt...never as bad as the left one had, but ALL the time! Then one day I was sitting at a stop sign..I eased off the brake to creep forward for a better view...and when I pressed on the brake again I had a sharp pain that made me want to release the brake. That was when I knew my right knee needed to be repaired, too. So November 25 saw me back at the hospital, greeted by nurses that remembered me.

Today I walk, play with the dog, dance, run up and down stairs with ease. I LOVE my Mako-Plasty knees!! I will be always grateful to the surgeon, nurses, assistants, and the hospital that made this possible.

And once again I remind my readers: This is my personal experience. I am sharing it to offer insight for anyone who is suffering with osteoarthritis and looking for solutions. I was more fit and more active than the average 60-year-old American at the beginning of this journey, so perhaps my recovery and success are affected by that. If you are on this same path/journey, I wish you success and wonderfulness.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Mr. Duncan C. McKeever, because of his study Partial Knee Replacement is possible in today's date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article, Thanks for sharing great information with us It is really helpful for knee replacement patient of Dr. shailendra Patil Mulund.

    ReplyDelete