Thursday, January 23, 2014

Once again, knee replacement = improved flute technique!

If you play, or have played, a wind instrument, or have had voice lessons this will not be a surprise to you. It's not a surprise to me....but it is a new discovery. It isn't quite the same as the last time when the improvement was sudden and unexpected. 

My physical therapist taught me a technique which she calls her "internal brace." As I am working on that technique I discover if I can do it at the beginning of a longer passage, I can sustain my air longer. Totally cool. 

It is a hard thing to describe in text, and I will make an attempt on my flute blog, but here's a brief effort: 

  • Place your thumbs just in front of your hip bones
  • Point the fingers down and press in with your index finger
  • Take a breath and expand this area, without pushing your gut out
  • Breathe in and out while maintaining the pressure
  • With practice it can become automatic
Good luck!


14 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased you find it helpful. When I began this journey, I was wishing there was someone who could tell me what it would be like. Since I didn't find that, I set out to offer my experience to others. I am not an expert, just someone who has gone through the process. I feel so fortunate to be able to have had MakoPlasty surgery, and to share what I have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your site has been very helpful with the material you provided. It certainly seems to be informative to help other readers get a lot out of the content.I am looking forward to more future postings. Thank you very much

    Dana Point Knee Surgery Post Rehabilitation

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The partial knee replacement and rehabilitation is principally done to relieve you of one of your old age woes and make life easier. This article helps to gain a preliminary knowledge of the process involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this content. If anyone is seeking for knee replacement surgery in India then Eva Hospital is the supreme place for you. Check our website and get the more details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information…!!!
    If anyone suffering from knee pain then partial knee replacement surgery in thane can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing such a great information with us and I hope u will share some more information about knee replacement. Please keep sharing.

    Best Piles hospital in Jaipur Top orthopedic centre Jyotinursinghome

    ReplyDelete

  8. Nice Blog! Thanks for sharing. If anyone suffering from knee pain and bone problems then EVA hospital is the best hospital for Knee Replacement in Punjab. This hospital offers the best treatment with the latest techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, thanks for sharing such a useful information with us. If you are suffering from knee pain and other orthopedic problems then Knee Replacement Surgery in Kalyan can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice post keep posting, will wait for your next post. Knee Replacement

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you want to undergo Knee Replacement Surgery in India then do contact Kalyan Hospital and get the best results from our skilful team. Just visit the link for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The post you have written here is a very useful post and you have given full information in it thank you
    Robotic Joint Replacement India

    ReplyDelete