Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Sabbath, Day 5

Rest! and rest some more...it gets hard. 

I would really like to be up and busy. My mind is ready to start on projects, but my knee is not ready. It's a beautiful warm sunny November day...the kind that makes you just feel happy to be outside. We take our walk In the morning, because church is is the afternoon. I poke along at my slow, controlled pace, watching the ground in front of me for twigs, leaves and other hazards. It feels so good to be outside!

The professionals really want me walking on level, smooth surfaces..yeah...not going to happen. Our block has old trees, cracked sidewalks, and goes downhill into the middle, then back up again. So I pick the least uphill part and head west. Once I get to the corner and can turn it, there is less incline. I have to be more cautious going downhill, and uphill makes me puff a bit. 

The Therapist in the hospital taught me to use the crutches and "walk" them alternating and opposing the feet. So the left crutch moves forward with the right foot. I feel like the giraffes in the stage production of "The Lion King." It's really nice, though.

Anyway, it's so lovely out, and at my slow pace, I just keep going until I realize I have gone much farther than I thought I could! I feel like I could go even farther yet, but decide to go back anyway. 

Even though I am walking so well, stairs are another matter..and my flexion is very poor. I am so tired of keeping my leg straight, and sitting/lying on my back! I did set up a regular list of exercises, and did them morning and afternoon, plus a nice long walk in the morning, which felt really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment